Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday in bed with the flowers

Yesterday's excellent cloud adventure also provided an opportunity to photograph some more flowers. In particular, I experimented with setting the camera to aperture priority so that I could manually close the aperture and therefore increase the depth of field.

One of my "disappointments" with earlier flower photos has been the extremely narrow area of the image in focus. Each of the photos in today's collection has a much larger depth of field.

This whole experiment was made available by the brief periods of direct sunlight. Previous shooting under cloudy weather limited my ability to use the smaller aperture because the smaller the aperture the slower the shutter speed. And I've learned from sad experience that I really need a tripod when shooting at anything below 1/100th of a second shutter speed.



What is the evolutionary purpose of whiskers on a flower bud?



Day 46 of 365

No comments: