Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Deacons On The Church

I'm trying out a new exercise regime. Can't run because of my recurring calf injury, but I've got no problem walking.

For the past few days I've been walking at least 2.5 miles. The problem is when to walk. On days when The Wife doesn't need to catch her bus I can walk any time I want. But on work days, like today, I would have to get up at 6 a.m. or earlier to finish the walk in time to shower and play my morning role as guardian of the departure schedule.

The other day it occurred to me that I could take the bus with The Wife and get off at the stop at Watt and Kings Way, walk across the street to the Starbucks, do my morning computer chores while I drink coffee and then walk home. The route back is a little more than 2.5 miles.

Including my camera in the backpack with the computer adds the finishing touch to this multitasking agenda -- work, exercise, shoot photos, return home, work some more and, eventually, process the photos and post something to the blog.

This scene atop the Arcade Baptist Church reminded me of a line from the gospel tune "Let The Church Roll On":
If a deacon in the church
and he won't do right
tell me what we gonna do ...
The line of pigeons just reminded me of deacons on the church.

I'm not a big gospel fan. I'm not even a Christian. In my previous lifetime as a "Transitarian" I explained my link to this tune in these words:
"When I was growing up in the suburban wasteland of the San Fernando Valley in the late 1950s, our household lacked a number of modern conveniences. Besides not having a father, we didn't have a TV. We had a record player, but we had just three records. One was Handel's Messiah. Another was a collection of Frank Sinatra tunes. And the final record was something by Mahalia Jackson. Included on that album was the song "Let The Church Roll On."
At one time YouTube had a nice video of Mahalia Jackson singing the song, but it's been pulled. You can listen to her sing the song on Last.FM here.

Harkening to my Protestant lessons from back before I took up the Buddhist path, I title this "Trinity."

The "eagle" has landed. My 300mm lens was maxed out and I had to apply a little drybrush filter to get this to look presentable when viewing at 100 percent pixel resolution.

It's too bad that I just can't draw. Doodle, yes; draw, no. Not that I've tried recently, but I certainly couldn't produce a charcoal sketch that looked this good, and even The Kid couldn't do it in the time it takes to work this magic in Photoshop.

Day 28 of 365

No comments: