Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The doorman

For more than 27 years I had just one employer. My job was narrowly defined. It was predictable to the point of boredom. And then I got laid off, and suddenly I was cast adrift.

Today I have one half-time job and a home-based business building and maintaining websites. Mixed up in all of this new-found part-this and part-that stew is my husbandry role as a Honey Do... rancher and my occupation as a doorman.

It is the doorman gig I'll use for today's photo spread.

The front of our house has a brick facade that extends up to just below the window of my office. The cats have learned that they can jump up on the ledge created by the facade and walk over to my window. One meow and the doorman leaps up from his desk to take his position at the front door.

The cat will then walk along the edge and around the corner to the door.

And without touching the porch, the cats leap from the ledge into the house.

Of course, the door swings both ways and sometimes it sits open while the cats decide what exactly it is they want to do -- In? Out? One in; one out. After the count of three, any cat who can't decide is threatened with becoming door jam.

All in a day's work.

Day 48 of 365

2 comments:

Sue said...

Cats are great. They really put you in your place.

Unknown said...

As the saying goes, "Dogs have masters; cats have staff."