Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Afternoon Delight

Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally stumbles upon something fortunate, especially while looking for something entirely unrelated. [Wikipedia]
That pretty much sums up what happened yesterday when I was getting ready to drive to midtown for an appointment. As I was closing up my computer to leave, the rain stopped and the clouds parted. Maybe I won't have to reach into my rainy day supply after all, I thought to myself as I tossed my camera into my backpack with my computer.

I headed down Business 80. At about CalExpo I caught a glimpse of downtown in the distance and remembered once taking photos years ago from the old city dump on 28th Street. By the time I got there, I was disappointed to discover that I couldn't get a clear shot of downtown because of power lines. But after a bit of a hike I did manage to come up with something worth posting.


And, of course, since I felt the downtown shot was only so-so, I had to try out some Photoshop magic. I can't explain how I got here, but I like where I ended up.
This effect is easier to explain. It's just a "stamp" filter. Had to tweak the photo before I could get the detail I wanted.

When I turned around to leave, I was greeted by this bucolic scene.



Then I turned around again and captured the multilayered clouds over downtown.


Clouds are becoming something of a guilty pleasure -- just too easy to be considered serious work.

Day 42 of 365

No comments: