Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The other commute

Today has been one of those days. That would be one of those days that seem to be short an hour or two. So much has to be done and at the end of the day you add it all up and discover there weren't enough hours in the day.

I'd almost given up on getting any new photos for the second day in a row when I stumbled in the dark.

This evening at around 6 p.m. I had to pick up a computer from a customer. She lives out in Citrus Heights just off Interstate 80 at Greenback. I took my camera along just because you never know. Sure enough, I was driving back after picking up the computer and noticed that a low chain link fence was all that separated my side of the road from the eastbound freeway. Since I've not had a chance to try really low light photography on this new camera, I decided to pull over and give it a shot.

I did not bring a tripod. Next time. But this worked out well for a handheld effort. "Well" being defined as modestly interesting.

The 6 O'Clock commute on a rain-slick freeway.

No cars. Just rods of light flying along like futuristic hovercraft.

And then I tried moving the camera around . . .

Stream of consciousness . . .

Fireworks, perhaps. Or maybe electric hair blown by the wind.

And no night of Photoshop experimentation is complete without at least one polar coordinates demonstration.

Day 34 of 365

No comments: