Monday, January 4, 2010

And then the sun came out ...

. . . and I saw my shadow for the first time in like forever, as The Kid's peers would explain.

This sun thing is turning into a rare opportunity, and since I've got to produce something every day I decided to save the day's errands for late afternoon so that I could catch some afternoon rays.

But I overpacked, as ususal. I went to the Post Office, and waited and waited and waited in line to mail The Wife's package. Then I cruised by Costco to pick up three packages of photo prints for The Kid. I stopped at the bank to deposit a customer's cash payment, and then filled up my travel cup at the Starbucks on Morse at Arden Way. When I walked out of Starbucks I realized that I would have to rush if I was going to get any value out of the sun.

I hurried down Morse to Cottage and parked at Cottage Park.

I was too late. All but a tiny slice of the park was already in shadow, the sun well behind the trees. I walked around and made a half-hearted effort to capture something worth the trip. And then I turned around and was nearly blinded by the light from a lone tree backlit by the setting sun, the leaves blazing in golds and reds.

These four photos were voted by The Wife and The Kid as the keepers. I had to put the choice up to a vote because I had more than a dozen finalists.




Day 26 of 365

No comments: