Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Narcissus

I've been anxiously waiting for the sun to part the clouds long enough to photograph the first daffodils of the season. I discovered the patch of yellow flowers on a morning run and I've been monitoring their growth each day I pass by the house. They are amazingly resilient considering the beating they have taken in recent storms.

Back in my Digital Art Desktops days I discovered the joys of daffodils. They come early and stay late. They make great photographs. When I started this 365 days of photography project I knew daffodils would be almost as prominent as cats.

So the clouds finally parted in the early afternoon but I couldn't leave my desk. I watched as the sun crept lower and lower. Finally, I couldn't take it any longer and I gathered up my camera and started walking.

It's about a mile from my house to the patch of daffodils around a tree in someone's front yard. I suppose I should have taken a car, but I still have this aversion to driving from my transitarian days. And I'm still paying the penalty. Today I arrived at the flower bed just as the sun dipped behind the house. Had I been there 15 minutes earlier I would have had the ideal late afternoon sun.

So that is my excuse for these two rather ordinary snapshots.



The next shot is from a different flower bed.

This patch is just starting to bloom. I'll be back.

Tonight, when I was putting this blog post together I was looking for information on when daffodils normally bloom. And that's when I learned the formal name of the flower, Narcissus.
"As divine punishment Narcissus falls in love with a reflection in a pool, not realizing it was his own, and perishes there, not being able to leave the beauty of his own reflection."
I love irony. What could be more narcissistic than blogging about your own photography? Ah, blogging about your Photoshop skills at manipulating a Narcissus into a painting.


VoilĂ !

And so ends

Day 49 of 365

No comments: