Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sick Day

Went to bed at 8:30 p.m. last night and didn't get up until 11 a.m. today. Probably ought to be in bed now, but I've got too much to do. Theraflu to the rescue.

So today, while I'm between sick-bed tasks, I'll post more of the photos I took Sunday. Looking out today on still another overcast day, it's amazing how productive I was in that brief period of sunshine.

In the early 1960s, my mother was active in Democratic Party politics. She had been drawn to volunteer politics through the Stevenson campaigns of the 1950s and was active in the California Democratic Council that grew out of the Stevenson "clubs."

In 1964 (?), my mother helped elect an attorney named David Negri to represent parts of the San Fernando Valley in the Assembly. As a reward, she was offered a job in the Capitol. She flew to Sacramento, and left me and my brother with our housekeeper. She was gone for a week.

When my mother returned, I asked her if she was going to take the job. I was ambivalent about leaving our home in the Misssion Hills area of the San Fernando Valley.

"No," she said. "Too many squirrels."



Years later, when I was working for The Sacramento Bee's Capitol Bureau, I realized she wasn't talking about the squirrels in the trees.

Day 20 of 365.

No comments: