Friday, December 4, 2009

The running wear guide to the seasons

Well, it was worth a try.

Each morning I get up to run before anyone else in my household is out of bed. Weekdays it's 6:15 a.m., sometimes earlier. And it is cold.

I can mark the changing seasons by the clothing required. Summer is shorts and t-shirt. Fall is shorts and light sweatshirt. Then the light sweatpants and sweatshirt season arrives. And finally the gloves are added.

But when the temperature is hovering around freezing, even the heavy sweatsuit and gloves doesn't cut the bone-chilling cold as I start my run.

So I had this absolutely brilliant, couldn't fail idea last night. I would get up 10 minutes early and toss my sweat clothes and gloves in the dryer on high heat. (We will ignore for the moment what The Wife would say if she knew I was warming my sweat-soaked dirty clothes in her clean dryer.)

Sure enough, I was one toasty guy this morning as I put on my shoes in the garage. And I was still comfortable when I reached the outer garage door and stepped outside. But by the time I took my first step in the street seconds later to start my run, all that toasty goodness was gone.

It was that cold. And the 100 percent humidity and the fog made everything that much worse.

I suppose I could invest in some specialized runner's garment designed to provide warmth while also wicking away the sweat. But for now I'll just suck it up and run. Somewhere I read that cold was good for you. And I know running is good for me. Together it underscores a simple fact of life: The total "good for you" value is inversely proportional to the pleasure it provides. No pain, no gain.

No comments: