Tuesday, December 15, 2009

River Detours

So it was an odd day.

I started early on my daily chores so that I could make time to drive The Wife to a bagel shop on her way to work. The Wife is fine with taking the bus and the train and the bus to Rancho Cordova, but it doesn't allow for detours. It certainly doesn't allow for timely detours on a commute trip that's already more than an hour. So I drove.

After dropping The Wife off, I planted myself at the Starbucks at White Rock Road and Sunrise. I worked there until noon, when I finished most of my work for the day, and set off for home.

When I left in the morning I had the foresight to put the new camera in my backpack with the computer, and I decided to take advantage of that when I saw the turnoff for the river access on South Bridge Street. The morning was overcast and the lighting gray, but I figured it was the best I was likely to get today.

I parked and walked down to the boat launching ramp with my 18-50mm lens on the camera.

I suspect the ducks are trained. As soon as I reached the end of the boat ramp they started arriving. With only the 50mm lens with me I was lucky to get this much action.


The bridge itself wasn't as interesting to me as its reflection.

The next shot I apologize for in advance. I just couldn't resist putting the bridge through the polar coordinate grinder, distorting it into a ball and floating that on top of a river shot that was run through a couple of other filters.


Click on the image to see the full size version. This is just too addictive.

Day 6 of 365

One other point: I've decided to crop everything, where possible, into HD dimensions -- 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels. I may decide to use some of these as desktop backgrounds.

No comments: