Thursday, December 24, 2009

It was the day before the night before . . .

It was 30 degrees when the sun came up this morning. I went looking for Jack Frost. This time I took the telephoto-macro lens.

The berries on the bush in the front yard were just warming up when I stepped outside. I spent several minutes trying different compositions and variations in lighting. While I'm doing better at getting the macro lens to focus, I'm lucky I don't have to pay for the out-of-focus shots I got.


Having taken my fill of berry photos, I returned to the frosted groundcover that I shot yesterday with the 50-mm lens. This photo was the best of the lot. Low light and a slow lens add up to an extremely narrow field of focus. I need to sit down and experiment with the camera's aperture priority setting so that I have some control over the depth of field. Maybe I'll get the tripod out.


Another re-run from yesterday. This is a macro shot of one of the "stars" that I found so fascinating against the dark evergreen backdrop.


I love Photoshop's glowing edges filter. It doesn't work on every photo. But when the conditions are right, the effect is gorgeous -- one-click magic. It's so easy I feel guilty using it.

In the back of the skatepark is a tree that's overgrown with ivy. Hanging in the ivy is a weathered wood picture frame. I've been trying to take a picture of this for two days. Yesterday and this morning, I took photos with the light from behind. This afternoon I went back out just before the sun set.


The concept of a picture frame hung in a tree and overrun with ivy is perfect. But composing this shot was a real ordeal. Maybe I'll try this again.

Day 15 of 365.

No comments: