Friday, December 18, 2009

Friday Night Fright

Can't resist. It's a guy thing, I guess. Or to put it in wife-speak, I never grew-up.

It's "cool" vs. "gross," and you can guess which side I'm on.

We have several rose bushes in front of the house between the porch and the walkway to the driveway. This time of year we're lucky if we have any blooms at all. As it turns out we have just one very unlucky rose bud. It was being tormented by unwanted house guests.

So I took a photo one day with the Sigma DG 18-50mm Auto Focus lens The Wife got with the Nikon D-5000.

The real fun came when I looked at the image at its actual pixel resolution.


Ooh! Ooh! Neat! Such luscious detail!

The Wife got two lenses with the Nikon. The next day I decided to try out the macro feature of the Sigma DG 70-300 1:4-5.6.

While the macro did allow me to create a larger full bud photo, I was very disappointed when I looked at the image at its actual pixel size.

I'm sure I'll eventually find some times when a 300mm zoom will come in handy. Maybe I'll even figure out ways to compensate for the lens's apparent inability to focus. Maybe, perhaps the problem is operator error. It could happen.

But for now, when I want really neat, sharp detail of something really cool, I'll stick to the 18-50mm lens.

A gross day 9 of 365.

No comments: