Friday, December 11, 2009

Light and color: No. 2 of 365

Once upon a time, I would spend hours playing with Photoshop filters and applying different modes. Layer upon layer would build up until there was nothing left of the original photograph.

It was like old home week tonight as I went through the dozen photos I snapped while The Wife saw her eye doctor. I took a couple of photos of the rain. Boring. I captured an old man bent over his cane as he worked his way between cars in the parking lot. Too close to home. In the end I picked this photograph:

It reminded me of the "rejects" that consumed me back when I was learning Photoshop. I think it was Photoshop 4. I took this photo today while reading the manual in the waiting room as The Wife waited to see the doctor. The only reason I kept it was to download it and see how badly it blurred when I tried to take an indoor photo with a slow lens without the flash.

But it is its worthlessness that gives this photo value. And here's the end product of about a half-hour's work:

Yesterday, I vowed not to burden this project with over reliance on cute cat photos. Today, I promise not to resort to the use of polar coordinate filters. Just this once.

No comments: