Sunday, November 1, 2009

Welcome to National Blog Posting Month 2009

It's 4:37 p.m. and the sun is setting. The fading light outside complements the computer glow inside my dark home office. I've got maybe a half-hour before I'll have to turn on some lights.

OK. I'm obviously struggling to find a handle for this job. It is NoBloPoMo time again and I've decided to use that occasion to return to blogging. I'm rusty. It's hard to pick up blogging again. It's especially hard since I don't have a guiding purpose here.

I shut down my former blog -- rtrider.blogspot.com -- on Aug. 16. That blog had the advantage of being about something -- my experience riding Regional Transit to and from work. But when I lost my job with The Sacramento Bee and ended up working from home, I lost my reason to blog.

Now I want to get back into the rhythm of writing. All I have to do is silence that voice in my head that keeps dismissing this as sophomoric "dear diary" crap. The medium is the message. The exercise is the goal.

This is the second time I've used this blog to attempt to restart my writing engine. I created this blog back in 2006. For background, try my first two posts here -- National blog posting month and National blog posting month Day 1.

Back then I was attempting to follow local and regional blogs for The Sacramento Bee at IpsoSacto.com, a website I built as a demonstration site. A grand old time, full of optimism. Not a dark cloud on the horizon.

OK, a short-lived grand optimistic time. The death of innocence.

By mid-2008, The Bee had already made it clear that my efforts were unwanted. Certainly sacbee.com was uninterested. And a year later The Bee let me go in the first layoffs in the company's history.

Today, IpsoSacto.com continues on. Not because I have a particularly strong interest in local and regional blogs. No, it's just because the website doesn't require any maintenance. That was the whole point of the demonstration project. This was content sacbee could have for free and it wouldn't cost them I dime of labor. IpsoSacto.com just does what it does, which is mostly just capture content from blog RSS feeds.

Since IpsoSacto is the name I use for Tweeting, I figured I'd return here.

Welcome to National Blog Posting Month!

No comments: