Friday, November 6, 2009

The Lost Day

It's 10:57 p.m. as I start this. Oops. Nearly missed my daily posting goal.

I'm tempted to leave it at that. I spent a good part of the day updating content on a website. It was mind-numbingly tedious work -- sizing, cropping and uploading images of maps and data; updating links in pages.

When I finally decided to call it a night, The Wife and I sat down with dinner to watch "My Life In Ruins." I found the movie painful to watch. In fact, about halfway through I got my Blackberry out and checked blog posts in my Google Reader. The movie became so predictable it was no longer necessary to actually watch.

After the movie, The Wife and I started rehanging paintings. The paintings have been in storage since July, when The Wife's grand kitchen remodel began. You can read about that at hugheskitchenremodel.blogspot.com. (Need to update that blog!)

Two weeks ago, the last part of the remodel -- the floor in the kitchen and the adjacent dining room and living room -- was finished and we started moving furniture back in. And only tonight did we get around to rehanging paintings.

We did the "easy" stuff tonight. Tomorrow, we'll hang the larger pieces. It has been so long since the work started that it feels "new" to have the paintings back.

But even when everything is back in place we will only have a brief respite. The remodel at one end of the house has set in motion an avalanche that will tear through the family room next and eventually the rest of the house, carpet will be torn up, floors refinished and finally a major overhaul of the master bathroom. At least that's The Wife's ambition. Personally, I'd just like to enjoy what we have for a time.

No comments: