Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Not tonight, dear

Sorry. I had an outline of what I was going to write tonight. I even took some pictures to go with the post. But I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm necessary to break my inertia.

I suspect part of my mental lethargy is caused by my physical exhaustion. I did 100 sit-ups in five 20-sit-up sessions on an Ab Lounge over the course of the day. It's part of my quest to drop another five pounds to attain the perfect BMI.

Using the Ab Lounge is a good example of my talent for focused attention for periods of time followed by distraction and ... well, not focused.

I bought my first Ab Lounge when I weighed more than 200 pounds. I used it for a couple of weeks and discovered to my chagrin that the effect of tightening my gut doing sit-ups just made me look like a pregnant woman carrying high.

We gave away the Ab Lounge to a friend of The Kid. Then, when I started losing the gut last year, I bought another. I think the chair, which allows you to stretch backwards and therefore extend the effect of sitting up, is a great tool. But somewhere between getting laid off and coping with The Wife's cancer treatments last year my enthusiasm waned. This time the chair was "loaned" to a different friend of The Kid. And for months it was gone and forgotten.

And then the other day I found it in the garage where The Kid's car should have been parked. Magic.

I brought the Ab Lounge into the family room, immediately annoying The Wife. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Third time is not the charm.

Maybe it will be useful. Today, for instance, when I started getting cold from inactivity at my desk, I got up and did a 20-count on the Ab Lounge. Felt warm all over about my exercise. If nothing else, I might cut back the heating bill. That's been something of an issue since I started working from home. We used to be able to turn off the heat during the day.

No comments: