Tuesday, January 23, 2007

An example of some real nice technology

In the right column of this site you will see an icon that either says "Click for Live Help" and "How may I help you" (when I'm watching the site) or "Leave a message" (when I'm away). This is a free open source program that I've installed. I installed it not so much so that I could engage in live chats with visitors -- no one has done that since I installed it -- but for the program's ability to display live info on who is visiting the site, what they are looking at and what brought them to the site.

Washington Post blog watching icon OK. That's example No. 1 of some real nice technology. However, what really prompted this post was the latest demonstration of the Washington Post's nifty trick of including "Who's Blogging" about particular articles.

As you can see by clicking on the image from the Washington Post site, ipsoSacto was one of the top four sites listed. In the space of a couple of hours this generated 15 unique visitors to the site. Unfortuntely, the story they were looking for was no longer on the front page, but those who bothered to click on the Iraq war topic found the post at the top of the column.

The ability to incorporate live content into a static newspaper article is simply the neatest trick of Web 2.0 technology I've seen recently.

No comments: