Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New Trains



I saved this photos from a week ago because I knew I'd be on the train to Oakland today.

Raced this morning to get to the Sacramento Amtrak station in time to buy a ticket for the 7 a.m. train to Oakland only to have the train suffer a disabling mechanical malfunction. That left all of the people left behind by that train joining all of the people who regularly take the 7:40 train. Considered myself lucky not to be standing in the aisle when I finally boarded. After we unloaded two trains worth of Davis travelers I was able to grab half of a table for the remainder of the trip.

I'm on my way to a 10:30 a.m. meeting in downtown Oakland. I did this same commute four times a week a year ago. It is possible I'll be doing it again soon. The two-hour trip on Amtrak beats driving any day. I've got all the creature comforts of a regular office. I've got a 120 volt outlet to power my computer. My employer pays for my cellular Internet access. Restrooms are available and I can get coffee and food on the cafe car.

Day 175 of 365

No comments: